Specialty RN II - Hematology and OncologyLocation:
Mount Pocono, PennsylvaniaJob Category:
RN - Registered Nurse, Nursing and Nursing SupportSchedule:
Days Work Type:
GWV Hematology/Oncology DivisionDate Posted:
Job Summary Serves in an expanded role to assess patient needs, plan and provide nursing care and coordinate follow-up care. Participates in research and educates patients and nursing staff.
- Provide patient care and education for patients in the specific age range on their assigned department.
- Serves as a resource person for patient and family regarding the perception of the diagnosis and medical plan of care for the management of disease as designated by the physician.
- Maintains availability to nursing for occasional in-service and helps with orientation of staff involved education.
- Performs pre-visit data gathering and record keeping on new and return patients.
- This includes recording of current medications and dosages and obtaining previous laboratory results and measurements.
- Assists in the management of patients with chronic diseases, including achieving key quality indicators, education, and long- term coordination of care.
- Tracks performance improvement measures and assists providers with completion.
- Obtains and documents patient medical history, chief complaint, vital signs, and provides basic medical data base for provider, and prepares patient for examinations.
- Assists provider in performance of procedures as directed by provider to facilitate accurate diagnosis.
- Collects and prepares laboratory specimens and completes associated paperwork to expedite laboratory studies with maximum accuracy and efficiency.
- Assists with orientation of new personnel to ensure that they are appropriately trained to support patients and provider.
- Executes and documents ongoing patient communication.
- Provides instruction to ensure patient's understanding of medical condition and compliance with treatment instructions.
- Inserts, monitors, regulates and discontinues IVs as required by provider.
- Performs and assists with triaging telephone calls concerning health issues and offers appropriate telephone management advice to patients as liaison to physician recommendations.
- Communicates lab, radiology and other testing results to patients and via telephone and electronic medical record letter notification.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
Position Details Work Schedule/Details:
Past chemotherapy experience is preferred. We're proud to offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package that includes
- Monday through Friday from 8a to 4:30p
- No weekends or holidays
- Travel to Geisinger Wyoming Valley in Wilkes Barre for meetings and coverage may be required (less than 25%)
- Medical, prescription drug, vision and dental coverage
- Family Support (Fertility and Adoption Support)
- Employer contribution to your retirement plan
- Tuition assistance (part time and full time roles only)
- Generous paid time off packages that allows you to take the time you need to travel, rest, and care for and reconnect with friends and family.
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated and experienced nursing leaders
- Paid Military Leave
- Community Involvement through our Employee Resources Groups
Education Graduate from Specialty Training Program-Nursing (Required)
Experience Minimum of 2 years-Nursing (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s) Basic Life Support Certification - Default Issuing Body; Licensed Registered Nurse (Pennsylvania) - RN_State of Pennsylvania
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.