HeadLight is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join our team. We work in a demanding and geographically diverse production environment that presents many technical challenges. To be successful in this position, you will need to demonstrate the ability to work quickly to analyze and resolve issues, and maintain highly available systems that meet business requirements within project timelines.
HeadLight, founded in 2005, delivers industry-leading technology to transportation construction teams. Our photo-driven inspection and verification technology enables clients to streamline and mobilize project inspections, communications, and documentation leading to superior project deliveries. The HeadLight platform has been used on transportation construction projects nationwide. Customers include large departments of transportation, top-tier consulting engineering firms, contractors, equipment manufacturers, and industry-related materials companies.
The Senior DevOps Engineer is a key member of the HeadLight team and is responsible for delivering high availability architectures and solutions, automated solutions, scripting, and cloud architecture best practices. As the Sr. DevOps Engineer, you quickly master details and new technologies as well as enjoy solving unique and complex challenges. In this role, you will help drive the evolution of our SaaS solution by planning network and server architecture, devise automated ways to enable rapid customer onboarding, continuously refine and improve scaling efficiency, design and implement automated ways to solve common needs such as builds, deployments, environment build outs, and always consider information security in all of your plans.
What You Will Do
- Design, review, document, and implement infrastructure around web, application, and data tiers to meet security, availability, responsiveness, and cost objectives.
- Automate application and cloud infrastructure management using scripting and industry standard tooling, achieving a high degree of configurability.
- Building and maintaining tools, solutions and microservices associated with deployment and our operations platform, ensuring that all meet our customer service standards and reduce errors.
- Intensive involvement in Infrastructure as Code (IAC), execution plans, resource graph and change automation.
- Implement and maintain intelligent infrastructure and application monitoring for other engineering teams to plug into.
- Troubleshoot infrastructure and application configuration issues identified by monitoring and manual testing and add monitoring to cover identified gaps.
- Proficiency in Server Provisioning, Middleware Management, Build and Deployment Automation through tools like GITHub, Jenkins, Docker and other technologies.
- Stress test infrastructure, implementing process and design changes as needed.
- Create and maintain runbooks for operational issues. Implement and refine operational processes and procedures, automating these when possible.
- Support company security compliance efforts.
- Establish and manage DevOps team best practices.
- Manage code deployments, fixes, updates and related processes.
- Provide leadership and mentorship for DevOps engineers.
- Stay current with industry trends and source new ways for our business to improve.
- Manage and participate in an on-call rotation with other engineers.
What You Will Bring
- Expertise in Linux-based infrastructures, Linux/Unix administration, and AWS.
- Practiced administration of databases such as SQL, MS SQL, MySQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Memcache, Mongo.
- Practical application of time and project management skills using workflow tools such as Agile, Jira, and Scrum/Kanban/SAFe with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed.
- Experience with open-source technologies, cloud services and high availability cloud architecture principles.
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with team and management.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience automating and operating a cloud based application environment.
- Robust troubleshooting skills with the ability to spot issues before they become problems.
- Current with industry trends, IT ops and industry best practices, and able to identify the ones we should implement.
- Adept in implementing and tuning auto scaling, application load balancing, and application deployment solutions.
- Experience implementing and maintaining an automated deployment environment.
- Self-starter who enjoys learning and applying knowledge.
How You Will Be Successful
- Customer Obsession: We exist for our customers. We strive to partner with them, understand the impacts of the challenges they face, and earn their trust to solve them.
- Love Problems, Not Solutions: We don't get so fixated on a solution that we lose sight of the problem. The best solution wins - no matter the source.
- Ownership: We honor and take ownership over commitments to each other. We are not self interested and refuse to say, that isn't my job. We act on behalf of the entire company.
- Details Matter: Paying attention to the little things leads to the ability to accomplish big things. We focus on ensuring we get the small things right. We leave things better than we found them.
- Earn It Through Results: We achieve our goals by delivering results. We refuse to manage perceptions of results. We work to deliver them with quality in a timely fashion.
- The Why Matters: Know why before taking action or investing time. We give context, set clear goals, and use independent judgement. We don't do anything just because someone said so or it felt right.
- Fail Fast: Speed matters in business. As a result, failure will happen. Dot it small, do it quickly, understand it, and use it to learn from and grow.
- Build Trust: We start by assuming good intentions. We depend on others, so we work deliberately to bring out the best in one another and build trust through visibility and transparency.
- Challenge Ideas, Respect Decisions: We love to challenge our own thinking. When it's time to move, we respect the decision, commit, and all pick up the oar and row together.
- Think Big: We are comfortable being uncomfortable. We strive for thinking at levels that allow us to scale and make the biggest impact for our customers.