The AMS RN provides comprehensive protocol based management of patients on Warfarin. Each AMS RN must complete an Anticoagulation Management Certification Program through University of Southern Indiana. The AMS RN provides extensive patient education, management of the patient's warfarin dosing and INR scheduled lab work and communicates with physicians and other healthcare providers as needed. The AMS RN also provides post hospitalization follow up as well as care and education for patients on warfarin having procedures.
**On-site training then remote potential**
- Provides and facilitates competent health care of patients and families in area of practice. Ensures adherence to established standards of care and scope of practice.
- Ensures documentation of care is complete and accurate.
- Provides health and wellness education to individuals and groups.
- Acts as preceptor and supports the development of other staff and healthcare students.
- Provides leadership for initiatives designed to improve the quality of care or clinical outcomes.
- Assists Nursing Supervisor/coordinator in the development of departmental standing orders.
- Review all AMS INRs and assign calls per protocol (alert, today, 24 hours, 24-48 hours)
- Call and triage patients with abnormal INR lab results
- Manage patient's warfarin per protocol or MD order
- Patient education
- Pre and post procedure patient management as well as hospital discharge
- Telephone messages (patient questions, triage and education)