Necropsy Technician - Pathology Services37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday 8.30 am - 5.00 pmLedbury, Herefordshire
Sequani is a contract research organisation with over 40 years' experience in the conduct of non-clinical regulatory safety testing of toxicology studies for our world-wide client base. As a Silver Investor in People organisation, we are confident that we can offer a varied role, together with a good range of company benefits and excellent career progression. Our customers frequently complement us on our friendly, professional and high-quality service and we inject commitment and purpose into everything we do.
The Pathology Services team are responsible for carrying out the necropsy of animals, recording macroscopic abnormalities and the collection of tissues for subsequent microscopic examination to determine whether the test item has had any effect on the tissues.
The role involves carrying out a number of varied necropsy and foetal pathology procedures. You must have a good standard of numeracy and literacy for this role and be able to follow instructions from a study plan and standard operating procedures.
You will receive training in all of the relevant techniques and procedures within the department. However, we are also interested in hearing from people who already have some experience too.
- Performing full necropsy procedures on rodents, rabbits and large animals and recording of data under supervision.
- Performing detailed embryo-foetal examination of rodent and rabbit foetuses under supervision.
- Performing routine basic preparation of consumables, fixatives and reagents for animal necropsies.
- Performing general laboratory duties including cleaning and upkeep of facilities, stock control and ordering, monitoring of fridges and freezers and archiving of study materials.
- Performing non-routine tasks such as freezing animal tissues, homogenization of animal tissue samples and processing of blood samples under supervision.
- Using on-line data capture system.
- Demonstrates quality and production competencies.
- Under guidance will comply with Health and Safety and GLP legislation and guidelines.
- Reads and complies with SOPs and Policies and Procedures related to the work they are conducting and the position they hold.
- Develops a good working relationship with team members and senior staff within the department.
- Demonstrates flexibility and a positive professional attitude to meet business requirements.
The department provides out-of-hours necropsy cover including weekends for unscheduled and some scheduled necropsies, and candidates will be expected to join the on-call rota system and work overtime upon gaining appropriate competencies.
Skills and experience:
All the usual health and safety standards apply in the laboratory and in addition, you will be trained to work to the highest standards of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP). We use computers extensively in our work and expect familiarity with standard Microsoft Office programs.
We are prepared to consider applicants who are seeking a career change, looking for their first career role, including applicants with or without laboratory experience as full training will be provided.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Demonstrates an ability to learn
- Good manual dexterity and attention to detail
- Previous experience within a laboratory environment
What we offer:
We can offer you first class training to support you in your career development whether you already have experience or whether this is your first professional role. We have a full range of company benefits as you would expect. We think it's important to say thank you, so we have a well-developed range of formal and informal recognition practices at company, team and individual level.