Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Java Software Engineer-Senior Level for our San Antonio or Plano Office facility. This position may also have the option of working remotely in the continental U.S. with occasional travel as requested.
The candidates selected for these positions will be working as a software developer with the Digital Voice team in USAA's Contact Center Technologies group. This team owns the automated voice interaction system that Members use when they first contact USAA. The selected candidate will be part of an agile team of highly skilled developers that use Java (J2EE), Containerization, and the USAA API Ecosystem to create, deliver, and support various Digital Voice Experiences. Key projects can include platform modernization, experience optimization, and the implementation of Site Reliability Engineering practices and principles.
USAA values a work culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual days onsite are settled between each employee and the employee's manager.
USAA Java Software Engineers create and maintain APIs for our business software applications that our members use. Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these APIs are or how we've made them simpler. Faster. Safer. Yet they help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and responsibility. Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks. You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our members will be far more significant.
As a Java Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions leveraging TDD. Your responsibilities will require you to be knowledgeable in API development. You will be a part of teams of developers guiding on engineering and architecture best practices as well as demonstrate the ability to partner and engage with other engineers and architects. You will work closely with business clients and UI designers to analyze user requirements, code applications and customize and/or integrate commercial software packages for both internal employees and external member-facing applications across multiple platforms.
Senior level Software Engineers provides support to the Enterprise through delivering best in class technology solutions. Engaged in all phases of the software systems and application development lifecycle which include gathering and analyzing requirements, designing, testing, documenting, and implementing software, responding to outages.
Job Requirements About USAA
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing. Tasks
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and procedures for business activities.
- Design, develop, code, and test complex technical solutions across many technologies to tie together existing systems and tools.
- Lead code/design reviews with team to ensure smooth daily operations and accurate planning.
- Develop complex algorithms to solve business needs
- Investigates and resolves complex application and system technical problems and production issues by directing troubleshooting of end-to-end solutions.
- Mentors' engineers, coach engineers on design, development, and maintenance of systems; Review teammates' code
- Influence architecture, quality standards and understand, identify, measure across entire solution
- Identify system performance issues and optimize solution
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of experience beyond the minimum requirement can be used in lieu of a degree.
- 6+ years of software engineering/development experience utilizing Java with 2+ years experience working with RESTful Web Services.
- 4 years of experience delivering technology solutions in all phases of the software systems and application development lifecycle to include leading code/design reviews.
- Demonstrated experience researching technical issues and generating creative/innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience addressing production issues by troubleshooting applications and systems.
- Experience articulating technical challenges and solutions
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of security coding practices and secure system fundamentals
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job. Preferred Requirements :
- 4+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- Experience with event driven frameworks such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, or IBM MQ
- Experience building APIs with Spring Boot
- Ability to design and implement container based APIs using container frameworks like OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Understanding of microservices architecture design and implementation
- Working experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is $106,800- $192,300 (this does not include geographic differential it may be applied based on your work location)
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors. Geographical Differential:
Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average. Shift premium:
will be addressed on an individual-basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours. Benefits:
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details. USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.