Act as a trusted business partner to functional areas within Sales, Marketing, and HP Operations as assigned, to provide advice on daily business activities and ensure that business initiatives occur in accordance with all applicable laws, policies, and SOPs. Implement appropriate compliance controls as necessary, and provide requisite compliance education and training to assigned groups. Lead projects as assigned, using planning and organizing skills, as well as influencing and communication skills, to help the business easily incorporate compliance into their activities.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities\:
- Work as a contributing member of the Commercial Compliance team, as well as cross-functionally across Ethics and Compliance, in the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of an effective compliance program for commercial business activities within BI. Integrate with assigned business units to be seen as a valued partner, who has a seat at the table and is consulted and advises on key business initiatives.
- Take a leadership role with assigned business functions as their Compliance Business Partner, to advise on business activities and ensure alignment with company policies and SOPs.
- Provide alternative recommendations as necessary to help the business achieve its goals in a compliant manner.
- Lead projects as assigned. An example is the revising of policies and SOPs, and associated training of the business.
- Use critical thinking and analytical skills, along with business and/or compliance experience, to provide guidance and make alternate recommendations to assigned business units on appropriate courses of action to enable the business to achieve its objectives in a compliant manner.
- Draw upon knowledge of compliance environment and business experiences to inform these recommendations.
- Use influencing skills, at all levels of the organization, to lead business colleagues in the application of compliance principles in their activities
- Apply compliance competence to explain rationale behind advice provided, and logic of proposed solutions. An example of this is leveraging existing content in other forums. Strategically recognize the business value and efficiency, yet understand considerations such as transfer of value, control of proprietary content, and access by appropriate specialties. Candidate will be able to draw upon his/her experience base to balance these considerations in his/her advice and recommendations.
- Lead identified project activities as assigned by the Director/Executive Director of Commercial Compliance. Examples may include the following\:
- Use of technology to bring compliance information to field teams by taking ownership of content submission, conduct needs analysis with users, and effectively address any gaps between needs and current content. This will require cross-E&C collaboration in content development.
- Another possible example includes the revision/updating the Commercial Performance with Integrity Guide (or any governance document) as an enterprise-wide project with all stakeholders. This includes agency management, ensuring content accuracy with SMEs, obtaining appropriate Legal review, and creatively enhancing the document to ensure that it is a relevant and effective resource.
- Creative dissemination, based on user feedback, of compliance resources to field teams to ensure proper uptake.
- Additionally, an example may be leading the Compliance Field Advisory teams, where two-way dialogue occurs to ensure that Compliance is addressing field force needs, and field force colleagues are leading the implementation of compliance requirements. These Advisory Teams include personnel at the manager, senior manager, and director levels.
- Provide updates and present on projects as requested to leadership of both the Ethics and Compliance department and as well as business leadership. This will require an executive presence to present and accept feedback at these senior levels.
- Accept and incorporate feedback into project work, and advise leadership of enhancements and ongoing progress.
- Demonstrate agility by flexibly adjusting to evolving business conditions and assignments, accountability by confidently taking ownership of his/her work and projects, and intrapreneurship by providing creative business solutions while recognizing existing and emerging areas of compliance risk. Takes appropriate steps to ensure risk mitigation. Examples may include the following\:
- Working with the Auditing and Monitoring team to develop (and help execute if required) monitoring plans for new business activities, particularly those identified as high-risk. Do this proactively rather than reactively
- Develop guidance for business activities to take place in new ways in response to external market dynamics (i.e. traditionally face-to-face activities done virtually, or interactions with customers taking place in non-traditional venues). Present these ideas effectively to business units for alignment.
- Able to think strategically to recognize where additional training is required, and proactively develop and execute training activities for the business. For example, if a certain activity is resulting in numerous monitoring or and/or auditing findings, using analytical skills to recognize this trend, propose training and E&C leadership, and perform training where needed.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution required
- Four to six (4-6) years of experience in business, legal, or related field in the Life Science, Pharma or other regulated industries
- Commercial Compliance and/or business experience in two or more of the following areas required\:
- Professional Sales
- Speaker Bureau
- Sample distribution and reconciliation
- Vendor management
- Payor Sales
- Market Access
- Patient Advocacy
- Analytics and Insight
- Sales Operations
- Health Economics and Outcomes Research
- Or similar business experience
- Experience in project leadership, with the ability to manage multiple projects/assignments concurrently
- Organizational awareness to recognize need for cross-functional collaboration
- Strong influencing skills, to be able to communicate effectively and present ideas and solutions to all levels of the organization
- Strong executive presence required to communicate effectively at all levels, including the senior leadership level
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the requirements for effective compliance programs as set forth in the U.S. Sentencing Guideline preferred
- Demonstrated strong planning and organization skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability lead multiple projects and meet multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking skills to make and apply fact-based analyses and decisions
- Demonstrate a high degree of proficiency in the ability to interpret and apply information from spreadsheets, databases and project management systems
- Self-starter, able to develop and learn new areas of compliance and risk areas
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Influencing skills in securing buy-in to recommendations and business benefit
- Strong conflict management skills
- Must possess strong verbal, written, presentation and other communication skills
- Must demonstrate ability to collaborate and partner across the organization
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- This position will require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Click here for more information on the vaccine mandate and COVID-19.
Who We Are\:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal\: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to a person's actual or perceived race, including natural hairstyles, hair texture and protective hairstyles; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital status; gender, gender identity or expression; sexual orientation, mental, physical or intellectual disability, veteran status; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law.