Role: Family / Child Care Paralegal - Bradford
Child Care Department Background:
Our highly specialised Child Care Department was ranked by Legal 500 in 2018 for its specialism in all areas of child care work. Our Child Care Law department approaches each case with a level of understanding only achievable through specialising in Child Care law. Duncan Lewis is one of few firms in the UK that are on the Lord Chancellor's International Child Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU) referral list. We have acquired a number of kite-marks and accreditations which are testament to the quality of the specialised work our staff undertake.We have had several high profile cases, which have been reported, which include caste, underage marriages and international elements.
What we're looking for
You will be professional with a pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a sensitive and sympathetic understanding of clients' needs. You will be assisting with casework including dealing with a range of public and private children cases including child abduction; child protection issues; special guardianship and adoption matters as well as undertaking your own advocacy.You will be attending to clients, taking instructions and preparing cases. You will also be dealing with correspondence, maintaining accurate time costing procedures and implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly. This role reports directly to Department Director.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Report directly to Department Director
- Professional pro-active approach, strong client care skills and a sensitive and sympathetic understanding of clients' needs
- Assisting with casework including dealing with a range of Family & Children matters (LAA Funded and Private client work) as well as undertaking your own advocacy
- Attending clients, taking instructions and preparing cases
- Dealing with correspondence
- Preparing and managing funding applications to the Legal Aid Agency
- Preparing draft documents including witness statements and processing evidence
- Attending conferences and court
- Maintaining accurate time costing procedures
- Implementing any recommendations made by your supervisor following monthly file reviews ensuring that these are dealt with promptly
- Ensuring compliance with file management
Key Skills Required
- Demonstrate passion and legal experience in a broad range of Family & Children Law
- A strong academic background with a Law degree
- Clear understanding and application of Family & Children Law
- Business acumen and the ability to market the Company
- Excellent communications skills to work effectively with all types of people
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and ability to use own initiative but know when to seek guidance
- Committed team player, self -motivated and professional
- Excellent IT Skills -familiar with Microsoft Office applications and document management skills
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other duties as reasonably required.
On offer is an attractive salary package, a supportive team environment and real prospects for promotion. The Company will consider applicants wishing to work part time, full time or with flexible working hours. The Company will allow working from home.
Duncan Lewis is committed to Equal Opportunities and embraces diversity of its staff. The Company strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, which is reflective at all levels within our workforce.We guarantee an interview for candidates that disclose a disability and meet the essential requirements for the post. Please provide additional details in your covering letter if this applies.If you are interested in applying for this vacancy, please visit our website and apply using our online process for your application to be considered.